AUSIGEN - Family History

HMS Buffalo

Personal Information    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name HMS Buffalo 
    Gender Unknown 

    • HMS Buffalo
      In May 1798 the ships Buffalo and Porpoise were fitting out in England as replacements for the Supply and Reliance for the service of the colony of New South Wales. Although called the Buffalo, the ship's figurehead was the carved figure of a kangaroo. Towards the end of 1798 HMS Buffalo, with William Raven commanding, set sail for New South Wales via the Cape of Good Hope where it took on board sixty six head of cattle for the new colony. On 3rd May 1799 the Buffalo arrived in Port Jackson where the cattle were landed in good condition, considering the length of the voyage. Other supplies included tools, and articles of hardware. However there were no supplies of bedding or clothing which were badly needed.

      The Commander, Lieutenant William Kent, and crew of the condemned HMS Supply were transferred to the Buffalo on its arrival, Governor Hunter having been directed to furnish Mr Raven with a return passage to England.

      On the morning of 15th September 1799 HMS Buffalo sailed for the Cape of Good Hope to collect a further cargo of cattle for the Colony. The ship also carried despatches to be onforwarded to England and among these was a requisition for items necessary for the manufacture of Woollens and linens, including a large quantity of seeds. On the evening of 16th April 1800 the Buffalo arrived back in Port Jackson with 18 cows and 20 breeding mares.

      The convict ship Speedy, Master - George Quested, had arrived in Port Jackson from London the day before the Buffalo and carried a letter from the Secretary of State to Governor Hunter which led him to issue directions on 29th June to prepare the Buffalo for sea as he intended returning to England. On 21st October 1800 the Buffalo sailed for England via Norfolk Island where some Irish prisoners who had been suspected of planning an insurrection in Sydney were landed. The Governor made a personal inspection of the state of the settlement which was most unpromising in appearance as the buildings were in a state of rapid decay.

      The Buffalo arrived at Spithead with a convoy which she had brought from St. Helena on 24th May 1801, having made the passage from New South Wales by Cape Horn in seven months. The Buffalo was also carrying two black swans and three emus.

      Other voyages of the Buffalo under Captain William Kent were:
      ?Arrived back in Port Jackson from England on 16th October 1802 with stores and then left for Moluccas and Calcutta.
      ?On 12th June 1804 arrived from Bengal with 77 horned cattle, 2 Persian horses and 4 mares.
      ?On 14th October 1804 left for Port Dalrymple with stores.
      ?On 13th December 1804 arrived from Port Dalrymple, returning to Port Dalrymple on 24/25th March 1805.

      The Buffalo arrived from Port Dalrymple under Lieutenant Houston on 6th May 1805 and left again for Norfolk Island then to Port Dalrymple on 22nd August 1805. With Lieutenant Houston as acting Captain the Buffalo sailed from Port Jackson on 27th November 1805 for Port Dalrymple, then Hobart Town, then Norfolk Island and finally to England with Governor King and family on board
    Associatn 1798 
    Voyage 1798  England Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • and arrived in Port Jackson on 3 May 1799
    Voyage 15 Sep 1799  Sydney, NSW, Australia Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • for the Cape of Good Hope
    Person ID I21217  Mote/McInnes
    Last Modified 5 Aug 2005 

  • Event Map
    Link to Google MapsVoyage - 1798 - England Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Earth